Viewing the Transit of Venus in Huntsville
SAFE WAYS TO VIEW THE TRANSIT:
- The Von Braun Astronomical Society will set up shielded telescopes for free viewing in front of the Davidson Center for Space Exploration at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center on Interstate 565. The transit begins at 5:05 p.m. (Central Time) on Tuesday, June 5. The viewing party is from 4:30 to 8:00 p.m. and includes children's activities.
- NASA astronomer Bill Cooke and his colleagues will set up telescopes on the west side of Moarshall Building 4600 for people with arsenal access who want to stop for a look on the way home from work.
- NASA will also stream live views of the transit on the agency's website.
- Find a piece of No. 14 welders' glass. You can watch safely through that.
- Make a pinhole viewer. Take a shoebox or similar box, put a small hole in one end, and sunlight will project a larger image on the other side of the box, much like a movie projector.
Articles, videos, photos, and activities: