Special Collections - Home of Huntsville Historical Collections
- The Special Collections Department serves as the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library's multimedia resource center for genealogy and local history research.
We have an extensive local newspaper collection on microfilm such as:
- The Huntsville Daily Times 1910-1931
- The Huntsville Times, 1931 - 2016
- The Huntsville News, 1964- March 15, 1996
- Many early Huntsville papers, including The Alabama Republican, The Southern Advocate,The Huntsville Democrat, the Mercury papers, as well as several individual issues from papers elsewhere in the state.
The Archives was established in 1976 in order to house the rare, fragile, and unique material that has been part of the library collection since 1818.
The material in our repository is varied and includes the Zeitler Rare Book Collection. Our historic photograph collection is composed of over 25,000 photographic prints and originals, with content ranging from depictions of street scenes and cotton mills throughout Huntsville’s history to portraits of prominent citizens. In addition, we house scrap books, original artwork, local business and organization records, early church records and minutes, diaries and personal correspondence including materials from the Civil War.